contents
YEMEN CONFLICT

Saudi Arabia threatened to cut ties with the UN over human rights criticism in Yemen

Yemen Conflict
See 82 more
Saudi Arabia threatened to cut ties with the UN and withhold hundreds of millions of dollars in funding if it was not removed from a child rights violators list, the FP’s Colum Lynch reports. This reportedly involved Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir (C).
Lennart Preiss/Getty Images
Saudi Arabia threatened to cut ties with the UN and withhold hundreds of millions of dollars in funding if it was not removed from a child rights violators list, the FP’s Colum Lynch reports. This reportedly involved Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir (C).
The Saudi Arabia-led coalition in Yemen was named on a list of child rights violators, but subsequently was removed after reportedly threatening to break relations with the UN. Foreign Policy’s Colum Lynch investigates.
S audi Arabia threatened this week to break relations with the United Nations and cut hundreds of millions of dollars in assistance to its humanitarian relief and counterterrorism programs to strong-arm the U.N. into removing Riyadh and its allies from a blacklist of groups that are accused of harming children in armed conflict.
The threat — which has not been previously reported — worked, and the U.N. subsequently dropped the Saudis from a rogues’ gallery of the world’s worst violators of children’s rights in conflict zones.
In their Monday warning, senior Saudi diplomats told top U.N. officials Riyadh would use its influence to convince other Arab governments and the Organization of Islamic Cooperation to sever ties with the United Nations, the officials said. The threats were issued in a series of exchanges between top Saudi officials in Riyadh, including Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir, according to U.N.-based officials. The Saudi mission to the United Nations did not respond to a request for comment Tuesday afternoon.
Riyadh was enraged after U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon included the Saudi-led military coalition in Yemen on a list of countries, rebel movements, and terrorist organizations that killed, maimed, or otherwise abused children in conflict. The 40-page report — which was issued last week and primarily written by Leila Zerrougui, the U.N. chief’s special representative for children and armed conflict — claimed the coalition was responsible for about 60 percent of 1,953 child deaths and injuries in Yemen since last year.
NOTE
The report noted a fivefold increase in child recruitment and use in armed groups, particularly after the start of the Saudi-led intervention in Yemen. The UN attributed 72% of verified cases of recruitment (762 children in total) to the Houthis, followed by pro-government popular committees (15%) and al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (9%).
Hoping to mollify the Saudis, Ban issued a statement Monday saying he would remove the Saudi-led coalition from the list, pending a review of the matter by a joint U.N. and Saudi panel. The reversal triggered a wave of criticism of the U.N. from human rights groups, who accused Ban of caving to Saudi intimidation.
“It appears that political power and diplomatic clout have been allowed to trump the U.N.’s duty to expose those responsible for the killing and maiming of more than 1,000 of Yemen’s children,” Sajjad Mohammad Sajid, Oxfam’s country director in Yemen, said in a statement. “The decision to retract its finding is a moral failure and goes against everything the U.N. is meant to stand for.”
Yemeni children pose at a makeshift camp housing internally displaced persons on April 16, 2016
Yemeni children pose at a makeshift camp housing internally displaced persons on April 16, 2016. MOHAMMED HUWAIS/AFP/Getty Images
The Saudi threat reflects a growing trend by U.N. member states to threaten retaliation against Turtle Bay for challenging their human rights records.
In March, Morocco expelled 84 international staffers from a U.N. peacekeeping mission in the disputed Western Sahara region after Ban characterized the territory as “occupied.” Last year, the United States warned that Congress might cut off funding to the U.N. if it included Israel on the same blacklist of armed entities that killed or injured children in conflict, according to two U.N. diplomatic officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity. In that case, Ban removed Israel from a draft blacklist before it was made public.
Pushing Monday for Riyadh to be delisted, Saudi Arabia’s U.N. ambassador, Abdallah al-Mouallimi, said it was unfair for Israel to be quietly let off the hook, while the kingdom initially was not.
The Houthis/Ansar Allah and the Saudi Arabia-led coalition are listed for killing and maiming and attacks on schools and hospitals.”
Children and armed conflict , UN report
“We have to ask the question: Why was Israel removed from the list last year?” Mouallimi said. “Israel has been guilty of crimes against children that are far in excess of even the inaccurate numbers that report contains about Yemen.”
At the time, Israel said it should not be part of a list that also included outlawed extremist groups like the Islamic State, al Qaeda, and the Taliban. Israel also maintained it continually sought to protect civilians from its warfare with Palestinian armed groups.
Mouallimi said he protested Saudi Arabia’s inclusion on the 2016 list in a face-to-face meeting Monday morning with U.N. Deputy Secretary-General Jan Eliasson and said Ban had shown “wisdom” in striking Israel from the tally in 2015. “We fail to see why he has not exercised the same wisdom in this report this year,” Mouallimi said.
But hours later, Mouallimi praised Ban for seeing the light and reversing his position.
Taking Riyadh off the list “clearly vindicates” the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen, he told reporters. The U.N. decision, he insisted, is “irreversible and unconditional.”
NOTE
In an unusually frank statement, Mr. Ban told reporters on Thursday that he had been threatened with the withdrawal of funding for humanitarian operations in Syria, South Sudan and the Palestinian territories if he did not temporarily remove the Saudi-led coalition from the list. "I also had to consider the very real prospect that millions of other children would suffer grievously if, as was suggested to me, countries would defund many UN programs," the UN secretary-general said. Mr. Ban added that it was "unacceptable for member states to exert undue pressure". Ambassador Mouallimi denied undue pressure had been exerted.
Colum Lynch
Foreign Policy
07 June 2016 - last edited 07 June 2016